Thanksgiving is a time to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and spend quality time with family. Many families look forward to big get-togethers, and when the focus isn’t on the turkey in the middle of the table, it’s on the entertainment.
Finding ways to entertain all age groups is tough, but everyone loves a good joke! There’s nothing like getting the table laughing (or groaning) over a couple of cheesy one-liners. Here are some classic jokes to keep in your back pocket at the Thanksgiving table—or, if you’re a babysitter, to share with the kids in your care.
The turkey is the focal point of the big day, so why not riff on it? These puns make great jokes for kids and adults alike and will leave everyone either laughing (or rolling their eyes…) at the Thanksgiving table.
- Why was the turkey arrested? It was suspected of fowl play!
- What did the turkey say before it was roasted? “I’m stuffed!”
- What did the mother turkey say to her disobedient children? “If your father could see you right now, he would turn over in his gravy!”
- Why do turkeys always go “gobble, gobble”? Because they never learned good table manners!
- Why can’t a turkey go to church? Because they use such fowl language!
- Can a turkey jump higher than the Empire State Building? Yes, a building can’t jump at all!
- Which side of a turkey has the most feathers? The outside!
Planning and preparing for family events can be time-consuming and stressful. Why not get the kids involved in the prep? Have them create colorful and fun table decorations, allocating one joke to each table setting. When your guests sit down, they have to find a joke to share with the table later. Turn it into a competition and see who can tell the most groan-worthy joke.
Of course, there’s always the classics. These well-worn j0kes are sure to crack a smile on everyone’s face.
- Why did the turkey cross the road? It was the chicken’s day off!
- What always comes at the end of Thanksgiving? The letter G!
- What do you call a running turkey? Fast food!
- Are turkey leftovers good for your brain? Not if you’re the turkey!
- What’s a turkey’s favorite Thanksgiving meal? Nothing, it’s already stuffed!
- My family asked me to stop telling Thanksgiving jokes. I told them I couldn’t just stop cold turkey!
Take Thanksgiving Entertainment for the Kids a Step Further
Using the jokes above, have your kids plan and prepare a short Thanksgiving skit for entertainment. Have them integrate the jokes above in, and see how much they can make all the adults laugh! Practicing their production ahead of time makes a great babysitting activity after school in the days leading up to the holiday.
Turkey Who? Knock-Knock Thanksgiving Jokes for Kids
There are so many fun ways for you and the kids to integrate Thanksgiving jokes into your event. Knock-knock jokes are an ever-versatile crowd-pleaser. Check out these Turkey Day-themed zingers!
- Knock-knock! Who’s there? Norma Lee. Norma Lee who? Norma Lee, I don’t eat this much!
- Knock-knock! Who’s there? Gladys. Gladys who? Gladys Thanksgiving, aren’t you?
- Knock-knock! Who’s there? Tamara. Tamara who? Tamara, we’ll have turkey leftovers.
- Knock-knock! Who’s there? Esther. Esther who? Esther any more gravy?
- Knock knock! Who’s there? Nadia. Nadia who? Nadia’s head when you say “Gobble! Gobble!”
- Knock knock! Who’s there? Wilma. Wilma who? Wil-Ma make lots of food again this Thanksgiving?
Take your knock-knock game to the next level and get the whole group involved! Print or write out a list of knock-knock jokes, and place them all over the table. Tell your guests they must try and use a knock-knock joke as often as possible to communicate at the table. An example could be: When everyone sits down, start the meal with the following joke: Knock, knock. Who’s there? Phillip. Phillip who? Phillip a big plate and dig in!
Fun for the Whole Family!
Invite your guests and kids to throw their hats in the ring with their own Thanksgiving jokes, and see what everyone brings to the table. You can even offer prizes for the best jokes of the day. Check out some of these other Thanksgiving-themed chortlers:
- If pilgrims were alive today, what would they be famous for? Their age!
- What do you get when you cross a turkey with an octopus? Enough drumsticks for Thanksgiving.
- How do you make a turkey float? With two scoops of ice cream, some root beer, and a turkey!
- What happens when you are mean to cranberry sauce? It turns into blueberry sauce.
Get Some Help to Manage Your Holiday Planning
The holidays are exhausting! The kids are out of school, there’s shopping and planning galore to do, and you still have to navigate your everyday work and home life. All the responsibility can snowball into an unmanageable situation pretty quickly.
While Thanksgiving is a time for celebration and having fun, the preparation involved can be intense. Consider getting some professional help to manage your time better. For example, hire a babysitter to take care of the kids for a few hours while you run errands!Next time you’re in a childcare pinch, consider Call Emmy. Call Emmy provides access to an army of vetted and trained sitters and nannies, for both sporadic and long-term contracts, and the intensive four-step background check process ensures your sitter is professional, safe, and qualified to care for your kids. Sign up for Call Emmy today and find the perfect babysitter for your family!